It’s back to school once again for millions of students… and back to the drawing board for moms on what to have for snacks. After a long grueling day at school, students arrive home listless and hungry. If you allow them to tend for themselves, they often make unhealthy food choices. Remember food is fuel, so it is best that right foods–those loaded with essential vitamins and minerals– must be serve on the table. After-school snacking can be healthy and nutritious.
Here are some healthy after-school snacks dieticians recommend:
* Graham crackers
* Low-salt pretzels
* Pita bread and hummus
* Baked, low-salt potato chips
* Baked tortilla chips with bean dip
* Prunes and dried apricots
* Peanut butter on apple slices
* Mozzarella string cheese
* Baked potato with salsa and yogurt
* Fun-colored pasta salads
* Baked and barbequed chicken breasts.
* Low-fat, low-salt ham.
* Yogurt or pudding popsicles