Sliders

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Milkshake Trivia

Some interesting and entertaining facts about milkshakes.

A milkshake is a sweet, cold beverage which is made from milk, ice cream or iced milk, and flavorings or sweeteners such as fruit syrup or chocolate sauce. Milkshakes are usually served in a tall glass with a straw, and whipped cream may be added as a topping. However, they did not always look the way they do today.

There are many interesting facts and an even more intriguing history that can be learned about milkshakes

photo link

In the early days, milkshakes did not just include the typical ingredients of milk, ice cream, and flavoring. Back then, a little whisky was added to milkshakes. No wonder they became so popular.

A banana milkshake mixed with a little honey is the perfect cure for a hangover.

Milkshakes gained became a household feature when Stephen Poplawski’ invented the electric in 1922.

Some years back, milkshakes is a health food. The famous Horlicks ( a milkshake made from mixture of dried milk, malted barley and wheat) was primarily given to infants and older people as a drink for their ailments.

Have you ever imagine consuming a milkshake without a straw? I bet, it will be laborious to finish one.. thanks to Joseph Friedman for inventing the flexible straw.

* Milkshakes got their name from being served in bars. If the customer enjoyed the milkshake, he shook hands with the bartender. If not, the bartender didn’t get a tip.

* Milkshake-like recipes which use yogurt, crushed ice, and fresh fruit and which are made without ice cream are usually called “smoothies” . When malted milk is added, a milkshake is called a “malt”. In certain parts of England and Canada, milkshake is named “frappe”. In Nicaragua, milkshakes are called leche malteada.

* In Rhode Island and Southeastern Massachusetts, the local “coffee frappe” shake or locally called “cabinets” is made using coffee syrup or coffee-flavored ice cream.

* Strawberry, Vanilla, and Chocolate are the three most famous milkshake flavors. However, there are seasonal milkshakes such as McDonald’s Shamrock Shake and Jack in the Box’ Pumpkin Pie Milkshake.

* Fast food restaurants like to make up their own names for milkshakes. In 1969, Wendy’s introduced “Frostys”, while McDonald’s launched its famous “McFlurries” in October 1997.

* A famous restaurant in Edison, New Jersey, Pizza, Wings, Steaks, & Things serves various milkshake flavors that includes: bubblegum grape milkshake, Chocolate Root Beer, Banana Marshmallow, Black Forest Cheesecake, Chocolate Cherry Coke to name a few. Other restaurants offer weird milkshakes flavors such as; Avocado Milkshake, Peanut Butter & Jelly, S’mores, and Kiwi & Pineapple.

* In Australia the most common flavors are Chocolate, Strawberry, Vanilla, Caramel, Banana, Lime, and Koala Bear.

* Some fast-food restaurants such as Dairy Queen, a popular fast-food restaurant, serves milkshakes which are prepared by blending ice milk (soft-serve ice cream) with sweetened, flavored syrups.

* Believe it or not…McDonalds’ milkshakes contain seaweed! Don’t you worry, the ingredient added is a seaweed extract called carrageen an that is also found in gelatin mixes, soft drinks and other dairy products.

* Some US restaurants serve milkshakes with broken cookies, candy bar pieces, or alcoholic beverages.

* A 6,000 gallons of pure milkshake was made in 2000, making it the largest milkshake in the Guinness Book of World Records.

* Milkshake lovers…mark these days red in your calendar: September 12 is National Chocolate Milkshake, June 21 is National Vanilla Milkshake Day and October 7 is recognized as National Frappe Day.

29 comments:

  1. Quite interesting. I love milkshakes but never gave it a thought how it originated or research about its history. On hindsight, wouldn't it be nice to drink and milkshake spiked with whiskey and drink a banana mixed with a little honey to deal with hangover? wink***

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love milkshake especially the one sold along the market in Ho Chi Minh. I was just drinking and drinking the whole time I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love milkshake, but most of the time I have fruit and vegetable smoothie, now, you are making me go to the kitchen and make a chocolate yummy milkshake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So if you are a bartender, you would want your customer to shake your hands or else, no tips...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pagnasobrahan ng kakainom mg whisky milkshake sigurado hangover yun. Pero okay lang kasi may banana honey milkshake para sa hangover. o diba? milk shake addict. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a milkshake fan but it's good to know about its history..Water na lang please!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My daughter and my husband love milkshake. I prepare it for them, but I never make one for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also love milkshakes. I make one at home or sometimes buy somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A milkshake is so refreshing, and a good way to quench your thirst from the heat of the sun =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Naalala ko tuloy ang song na milkshake, Papaleng! Hahaha I'm not a big fan of milkshakes.. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Milkshake without a straw? Aw hirap non! Buti na lang naimbento ng matalinong si Friedman ang straw. One of my favorite is milkshake kaya lang di lactose intolerant ako.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love milkshakes! I didn't know it's good for infants too... the preparation of milkshake for them must be carefully done, I guess. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. There's so much we can know talaga about food! :) Will definitely mark the dates in my calendar. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love milk shakes though it's not as common in the Philippines.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love this post most especially on a part in which milkshake can somehow aid a hangover! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love Milkshake!!! pero every time i drink it i think about the calories and it ruins everything for me.hehheheh

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think no one can refuse to gulp refreshments like this especially during the harsh heat summer.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I haven't tried McDonald's milkshakes and I didn't even know that they serve milkshakes. Do they, in the Philippines? If yes then for sure I'd want to try them out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great info on milkshakes... it is difficult to finish consuming milkshakes without a straw. this paves my interest. why it is so?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice trivia about milkshake. I hope I can give my ailing husband a milkshake to relieve his pain.

    ReplyDelete
  21. everyday i always make some milkshake. banana milkshake and vanilla milkshake is my families favourites. since it is in an aussie food as well for my husband

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! Most of the things that they use for milkshakes have an interesting history. Thanks Sir for sharing, interesting topic you have here :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. September 12 already marked. :) Haha.

    Next time that I'll get drunk, I'll make sure I have the ingredients for Banana shake and honey. I'll try if it'll work.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love milkshake especially if the flavor is chocolate or strawberry. Thanks for sharing info / tips about milkshake ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. wow I never thought meron palang National Chocolate Milkshake, great info!

    ReplyDelete
  26. If only it would hurt my throat, It will definitely be a part of our every meal. For one we love milk and making it to a frost and adding our favorite mixins is not only fun but cloying as well.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love milkshakes too! Thanks for the info. I can't imagine myself drinking a glass without straw :D

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ugh, now I'm craving for milkshake! Might make a glass later! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  29. Reading this post makes me crave for milkshakes!!! gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. Interesting facts about milkshakes :)

    ReplyDelete